A good electrician will be able to advise you and discuss things such as:
· Where do you want your light switches – near your favourite chair, near doorways, somewhere that suits your family in particular?
· If you are wall mounting your tv, what wiring will be required behind the tv?
· Where do you want USB outlets – near where you watch TV so you can charge your phone while relaxing? In the kitchen so you can read recipes off your phone without running the battery down?
· What outdoor lighting requirements will change as a result of your renovation? Will you be creating a new courtyard area? Will a pre-existing outside light be removed as part of the process and require reinstallation?
· Do you want an exhaust fan in that brand new laundry you’re building?
· Would speaker wires through the house work for you for music or TV watching?
· Have you considered 2 and 3 way switches? Or dimmable lights? Or fans?
Don’t wait until your renovation is underway as this is likely to add to the overall cost – get in early and get a plan of action in place with your electrician to save yourself money and to ensure the renovation works for you.